I’ve never been one to celebrate my birthday very much. Mike and I don’t exchange presents… well, let me rephrase that. Mike always buys me a gift but usually gives it to me the day he brings it home; he never waits until my actual birthday, and I don’t buy him gifts! Hmmm, seems a bit lopsided when it’s written out for all to see!
Anyway, today, I want to share 47 of my deepest thoughts. I know, a little Jessica goes a long way, but today I’m giving you a lot of Jessica…hang in there!
- Most people are good. Humans are inherently good, but when someone shows you they aren’t, trust them!
- Good friends are hard to find. When you meet a couple that you and your partner click with, cherish it. It’s solid gold!
- Christians are humans. We aren’t perfect. We make mistakes. We should be gracious towards others and could use some grace extended our way from time to time, too!
- Christians are held to a higher standard…if you are one, try to live up to it!
- A little lipgloss and mascara go a long way! If you can only do one, I suggest lipgloss, but honestly, if you have time for one you probably have time for the other.
- SPF is important. Skin cancer is real. Take care of your face but don’t forget to use SPF everywhere, every day.
- Dark chocolate is good for me. If it’s not good for you, I don’t know what to tell you!
- We teach people how to treat us. If you let people walk all over you, they will.
- You can stand up for yourself and still be a nice person.
- You can always choose to be kind. There are very rare circumstances that you might find yourself in that you shouldn’t be kind, like a carjacking, but chances are low of that happening.
- Never let a kidnapper take you to the next destination. That is where they kill you. Don’t be kind to a kidnapper, ever.
- Don’t walk and look at your cell phone. You might run into something or someone. Or you might get mugged, so there’s that.
- It’s rude to talk on your cell phone when you are checking out at the doctors office, the store or at the drive through window, BUT if you see someone doing this, give them the benefit of the doubt. You don’t know if the person on the other end is in trouble.
- If you are talking to someone that is in trouble, get out of the fast food line!
- If you see a crazy driver, don’t try to outdo their crazy. Back off, let them go. You don’t know if they are pregnant and need to get to the hospital or if they are just a nut job maniac. Either way, give them some space.
- Spanx are your friend. Yes, they are a friend that doesn’t understand personal space, they can be a bit annoying and you might want to limit your time with them, but at the end of the day, they are the friend that wants to make you look good. Everyone needs a friend like that!
- Teach your children to get to know children who are different from them. Teach them to enjoy the differences; it will enrich their lives.
- If you have never tried Pilates, try it. If you don’t fall in love with it for the toesox alone, you and I can’t be friends. #kidding #sorta
- If you haven’t ever tried the loaded cheese fries at Denny’s…try them and thank me later. Oh, better yet, tag me in your post… I know you are going to take a pic of that pile of delicious amazingness!
- People do change. I know I am not the same girl I was at 20 or 27. I hope if you knew me then, you like me better now…I know I do!
- The grass is rarely greener on the other side, and if it is, it’s because someone has been watering it. Your grass can be green too but only if you put in the effort.
- Having a great lawn is hard work.
- It’s fun to be happy for other people. Try it. Find joy in their joy, even if what they are excited about doesn’t excite you. Be excited for them.
- When you are happy for others, you will be more happy in your own life.
- Everything is “betta with Feta”…FETA CHEESE is my jam! I eat a greek salad most days for lunch and if we are out of feta, I have a hard time being happy for other people that day.
- If you want to lift your spirits, listen to K-LOVE.
- If you want to add time to your day, do these two things: give up television and wake up an hour earlier.
- Teach your children to guard their eyes and their ears; what they look at and listen to will tell their mind what to think about and their mind will tell their heart what to desire.
- My favorite book of all time is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
- Yes, of course I love the Bible and I don’t love Redeeming Love more than that…you should read both!
- Everyone can make a difference for an orphan. Even if you can’t adopt, you can support someone who is adopting.
- Support can be financial, every little bit helps. It can also be emotional or practical. Deliver a meal to a foster family or a newly adopted family.
- I have two ridiculously embarrassing stories that only my closest friends know. One involves a massage in Thailand, and the other happened when I went to deliver Camden. I’m not sure why I think it’s funny to tell these stories, they are really embarrassing.
- My favorite embarrassing story about Mike is included in my book. The two mentioned above are not!
- My love language is quality time and acts of service. Mike says his is alone time! #whatever
- I’m a terrible gift giver. I fret over the decision, I am never sure it’s really a great gift. I love to give them but they always come with a back story.
- My best parenting advice is to be consistent. If you tell your child no ten times and give in the eleventh time, you just taught them to ask until they get a yes.
- I love coffee. I love iced tea. I love boba tea.
- I don’t love dogs, but I live with two that I love some days and tolerate most days.
- I love Mike B. It hasn’t always been easy to love him, but we don’t need to go there. Thankfully, loving me has been a walk in the park! #theworldaccordingtoJessica
- I love to travel. I love to walk as many miles as I can walk in a new city. It’s the best way to see things.
- I do not love an audio tour, ever.
- I am from Tennessee, and if you have visited Gatlinburg, I am so happy for you but the rest of the state is not like that (it’s better)!
- Prayer is not a one-way street. It’s a conversation. If you talk to God, He will answer you. You aren’t necessarily going to hear a big booming voice, but He will make it evident to you. Pay attention!
- I do not like sandwiches unless someone else makes them; in that case, they always seem so appetizing.
- Last two things. Work for what you want in life. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not worth it or you can’t do it. If it’s worth it to you, it’s worth it. If you want to do it, you can. If you are surrounded by naysayers, get a new crowd. We only have one life to live… live it!
- If you don’t have a relationship with Christ and you aren’t taking your family to church…find a good one and go! It will truly change your life… now and eternally!
WOW, that is a lot of Jessica!! Maybe something in here jumped out at you. Share your thoughts with me; you know I love to chat about things!
If you found this post helpful, thought provoking, inspirational, or interesting to read, be sure to use the share box below to pass it along to your friends or add a comment to start a conversation!
First and foremost, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You continue to inspire me with your words of wisdom and wish I lived closer…I’d love to buy you lunch!
thanks Lisa…I appreciate your kind words and I’m always up for eating lunch!!!
I did not see my favorite for most of my life….
Take one day at a time. Some times it is only one hour at a time.
So so good. You crack me up. Thanks for a fun way to start the morning with a little dose of Jessica. 11 and 12 made me laugh the most for some reason 🤣.
Have a wonderful wonderful Happy Birthday!!!
safety first my friend! Thanks for spending a few minutes reading my thoughts!!
Love this and getting to know you better! All important things. Except the dog part…I love dogs. They can be annoying. But I still like them better than most humans, some days. We can still be friends though. 😊
I talk a tough game, I have two laying beside me right now!!! Thanks for reading along!
Love this and YOU! 😍
I love all 47 facets of Jessica! What a fun list. And oh, so ‘deep’!! 😉
PROFOUND, I know!!! But just think, if you take my advice, you are not going to get mugged!!! I’m keeping you safe!
Love this and you! Hope your birthday has been all you could wish for!
Thanks Jennie…it’s been a great day!
Oh Jessica! I feel like I know you so well! thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts and advice! Happy Birthday my R and F friend! You inspire us all!!
Have a joyous Birthday!!!
Thank you Nancy…I appreciate your sweet words of encouragement! I hope you are doing well and staying safe!
I like a whole lot of Jessica! Lol I took a screen shot of number 28 and I have tears in my eyes because I haven’t always done it. Happy birthday!!❤️
Our children are resilient and I’m sure you taught them well. It’s never to late to share with them our hearts, even our shortcomings and what we desire for them. (and trust me, I haven’t gotten it right all the time either…parenting is hard!)
Hbd friend! Enjoyed your deep thoughts – esp the one about feta! Everything tastes betta with feta! 💜
Kristy…you and I, we are profound thinkers…it’s good to have a friend that gets it!!! Let’s meet for a Greek salad soon…I need to see your face!
Happy Birthday, Jessica!
What a beautiful way to share HIS LIGHT with humor and Godly wisdom!
You are truly “ gifted” and share your giftedness so freely and naturally.
Blessings as you share the beautiful name of JESUS~
Patti ( LKSD )
I will absolutely share more of these in my IG stories and posts. So much wisdom forcibly 47 years!
That should have said “for only” not forcibly. Here’s one to add: always read your comments 3 times before posting! Lol